Nicki Minaj is ready to fight the lawsuit brought by singer Tracy Chapman and is refusing to settle.
According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Minaj and Chapman recently attended a court-ordered mediation.
The docs note on October 2 the parties tried to privately hash out their issues. However, “the mediation was unsuccessful, and no settlement was reached. Settlement in not imminent.”
The case will now move forward against Minaj.
Last year, singer Tracy Chapman sued Minaj accusing her of copyright infringement. She accused Minaj of sampling her song "Baby Can I Hold You" on a track with Nas titled "Sorry."
Chapman accused her of not getting permission to sample her work nor was she paid.
Minaj denied all allegations of wrongdoing and demanded the case be dismissed.
The rapper Minaj admitted her team made several requests to Chapman to use her music and says those requests were denied. She also says she did record the song before getting permission.
In the court docs, Minaj says she did want to put "Sorry" on her album "Queen" but left it off due to not having clearance.
The song was eventually leaked to Funkmaster Flex, who posted it on social media, and then it went viral soon after. Minaj argues the use of Chapman’s sample in her song was fair use and even says Chapman doesn’t own the copyright to the sampled track. Minaj is demanding the entire lawsuit be thrown out.